Sunday, January 25, 2015

Horses









I love horses.I started riding in Berlin when I was about ten, usually in tiny, downtrodden pony ranches that were near us on the fringes of the suburbs. We had a lot of freedom there and could just rent the horses, take them out into the neighborhood and let them graze  on the lawn behind our apartment building. I stopped riding at about 14 and didn't pick it up again until visiting Iceland several years ago. Icelandics had been my favorite horses as a kid and I never lots my fascination wit these durable ,strong and fast little horses that have 4 to 5 gears. My favorite being the Toelt, which is supersmooth and goes from a slow trot pace to a gallop.There is just nothing like it.Some of my favorite riding in the US has been at EKONE,  www.ekone.org ,a lovely ,spirit horse camp for adults and children alike. My daughter is now in complete horse craziness and goes riding locally once a week. About once a month I take a lesson myself, so I can keep up my skills. This summer we will go riding again in Germany. I am excited that my sister and niece are also horse fans, it is something that unites us in a way only horses can.

No comments:

Post a Comment